Friday, December 18, 2009

My Favorite Restaurant: Sunny Taj



I love Indian foods. And “Sunny Taj” is my favorite. The top photo, the left person is Bisen Shing, the main chef, and right is Bir Shingh. I’m sorry I didn’t get the name of the middle cook. Looking at their faces, I tend to speak in English, but Bir speaks Japanese.



The restaurant just moved to the new location in September to the back of the new large building that is still under construction. The building is situated across and leftward from the Keikyu Department Store. I’m writing these details because even though most readers do not live in Yokohama, but if any of you go, I want you to find it. I checked the Web information, and they all point to the old location, and their rating of Sunny Taj does not justify their food and services.



I go there often, and their food is excellent. I especially like vegetable curry. The curry has chunky turnip, carrot, and potato to fit to Japanese taste. But I don’t go there just for the food. I go there because the owners and employees are warm. I feel at home. And prices are reasonable.



I took these photos with the female owner’s permission, but when I made a shot, she hid herself to the right behind the window. It was the evening before I left Japan, and the restaurant was packed. So I had to hurry up and clicked away. That’s my excuse for a bit blur images.

6 comments:

jiturajgor said...

We eat the dish you posted, almost every Sunday. Punjabi food is really testy and much nutritious.

keiko amano said...

Jitu,

Wow! How can you tell the food is Punjabi? I didn't know. All the Indian curry look similar to me. Is it because of a bit of creme on the curry dish?

Also I drank a glass of lassi. Lassi was thick and sweet. The Indian restaurants in Los Angeles and Pasadena I used to go to served light lassi with salty taste. That's the kind I like. But in Japan, people make everything sweet. That's my complaint.

jiturajgor said...

Because Punjab is a north Indian state. Almost in all Indian wedding there is Punjabi food,It is very famous and accepted all over India.

Rebb said...

Keiko, Thanks for the tour of "Sunny Taj." The curry looks delicious! I also really enjoy Naam bread and that piece looks yummy. I have only eaten Indian food a few times. There is a place near where I work that offers a lunch buffet, so I was able to sample several items, but it's hard for me to keep track of what I eat. I don't know how to order off of the regular menu because I don't know what is what. I still have a lot to learn about Indian food, but I like what I've tried. I especially like that vegetables are in many dishes. I am not good at eating vegetables on their own.

keiko amano said...

Jitu,

I guess Indian people can tell. Probably the south people make it really really hot like Thailand.
I eat mild only.

keiko amano said...

Rebb,

I have craving of Indian foods. I have to have it. You'll be hooked when you find one good Indian restaurant. The bonus is because they are healthy foods, and I think it is rather low calorie. So as long as I'm eating Indian foods, I feel I don't gain much weight.

But you're skating, so you don't care about diet. Besides, you're young. I don't really watch it, but at least I worry about it to compensate.